S.28 Masterclass for Established Barristers
18.30hrs: Arrival (for in-person attendees; 4th floor Treasury Building)
19.00 – 20.30hrs: Masterclass
20.30 – 21.15hrs: Drinks reception (for in-person attendees)
Wednesday 7th December 2022
This Masterclass addresses the practical realities of the roll out of pre-recorded cross-examination for vulnerable and intimidated witnesses in the Crown Court (s.28 of the Youth Justice and Criminal Evidence Act 1999). With expert commentary and analysis from prosecution and defence counsel and the judiciary, it will cover the current challenges with s.28 (from instructions to listing to presentation of evidence) and consider whether s.28 is currently achieving the original objectives set out 23 years ago in the YJCEA.
• His Honour Judge Martin Picton, Bristol Crown Court: Editor of Crown Court Compendium; previous Course Director, Judicial College Serious Sexual Offences training and member of the Criminal Procedure Rule Committee.
• John Riley, 23ES Chambers: Grade 4 CPS RASSO counsel and CBA RASSO Committee Deputy Chair; an acknowledged expert and leader in RASSO cases undertaking some of the most challenging cases in this field.
• Laura Hoyano, Oxford University and Red Lion Chambers: Law Professor and practicing barrister, specialising in cases involving children and other vulnerable witnesses, member of the CBA RASSO Committee
• Claire Matthews, Drystone Chambers: Grade 4 and RASSO prosecutor with criminal practice equally divided between prosecuting and defending including serious sexual assault and rape, member of the CBA RASSO Committee.
• Professor Cheryl Thomas KC, Director of UCL Judicial Institute and UCL Jury Project and Inner Temple Dean of Education
This session will be available in person at the Inn and online. Tickets are free but booking is essential.
(Non-members: Scroll beneath the Members Login box and click ‘Add Ticket’.)
Silk £0.00 +7 Years £0.00 -7 Years £0.00 Pupil £0.00 Non Member £0.00
You need to login to book this event online.