Applications are now being invited for probationary tenancies (formerly known as third six pupillages) at Red Lion Chambers [RLC]. We are seeking individuals who have completed pupillage elsewhere (usually within the last 12 months); who have experience of practising in the criminal courts, are able to demonstrate a real talent for advocacy, a commitment to our practice areas and the determination and potential to excel at the Bar.
Red Lion Chambers is a busy set with its most junior members practising predominantly in the criminal courts, acting for both prosecution and defence. Tenants also work in related areas such as business crime, regulatory law, health and safety, environmental law, professional discipline, international criminal law and inquests and inquiries. Chambers is therefore able to offer successful probationary tenants the opportunity to diversify into allied areas of work in the future, should they wish to.
Probationary tenants can expect:
- A probationary tenancy of 6 months’ duration, at the conclusion of which they may apply for tenancy
- An allocated supervisor, to assist with ongoing training, development and wellbeing
- Opportunities to develop drafting and legal research skills by working with other members of RLC, building support for their tenancy application and ensuring that they are able to meet and work with a cross-section of our membership
- The opportunity to participate in Chambers’ in-house advocacy programme with our 18-month pupils/probationary tenants
- To be in the Magistrates’ Court or Crown Court most days
- To join Chambers’ ‘Saturday Court Rota’ alongside pupils, any other probationary tenants, and our most junior tenants.
Probationary tenants are not required to pay rent or clerks commission on any earnings.
There are regular events in chambers, including talks and social networking events organised by our juniors, lectures and CPD sessions, monitoring groups that meet to discuss developments in a variety of areas of law and IT, dinners and celebrations. We provide excellent support, training and development to our pupils and probationary tenants, with a view to recruiting those who meet our standards of excellence.
You should be aware that we are currently in the process of refurbishing our Grade II listed premises at 18 RLC to deliver a first class modern working environment for all members and staff in May 2022. Details of our plans can be found here.
For those who are interested in applying, details are available on our website at https://redlionchambers.co.uk/join-us/probationary-tenants/.