National Magistrates’ Court Working Group & The Cloud Video Platform
The CBA urgently needs your help.
We would like to provide the National Magistrates’ Court Working Group, chaired by Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot, with a realistic assessment of how digital hearings and digital trials are currently working in the Magistrates’ Court. Therefore, if you have participated in a digital hearing and/or trial over the past 2 months, please could you set out for us your experience by addressing the following questions (and anything further you think relevant):
- Name and chambers (this will be anonymised if sent to the working group)
- Pupil / tenant (year of call)
- Magistrates’ Court
- Date of hearing/ trial
- What platforms were used during your hearing / trial e.g. CVP, Skype, ClickShare etc
- Was a reason given by the Court for using a particular platform?
- Were there any connection problems with the technology during the hearing/trial?
- If there were connection issues how were they resolved?
- Was there sufficient infrastructure in place within the court room to support the digital hearing e.g. screens available for each participant, sound of good volume etc..
- Did you feel as though each participant (counsel, judge, defendant, witnesses, public etc) was able to effectively engage with the hearing?
- Do you believe that the use of technology in your hearing/trial was a good thing or a bad thing? Please explain your reasons why.
A Table of Magistrates’ Courts and roll-out is as follows, however these may be subject to change:
|Magistrates’ courts where CVP is now available
|Magistrates’ courts scheduled to get CVP in June 2020
North Staffordshire Justice Centre
North Tyneside Mags
South Tyneside Mags